Translate

Friday, January 23, 2015

First mini triathlon

Wow, the last time i blog was in August 2014...

I was preoccupied with quite a number of things, with mainly completing my ACTA certification, from Sept - November, doing some contract curriculum writing and tutoring part time in an established tuition centre. Ever since i resigned last year in Dec, my income flow has stopped for 6months. I have been searching for a job in the corporate world since July, however the job market does not seem to be very good. It was pretty discouraging at times and sometimes i felt really demoralised. Some friends told me to venture into tuition full time, which is something i am pretty confident of delivering. But me, 屁股痒咯,i still want to try something different in another area. I mean if i never try something else, i would never know if i can excel in that too right? And i know, if i wanna do something, i can be quite persistent...Anyway, i am still sending resumes, i took up ACTA as i thought i would like to go into training in the L and D departments, and i am sure that there are definitely transferable skills that i have acquired during my 9 years in school which i can contribute to the next company that employs me. Just need to be patient and wait for God's timing. :) and meanwhile just keep sending...

Ok a recap of what has happened in Sept...i joined my first triathlon organised by trifactor.
It was a mini one, not the iron man/ woman kind. It sounded very easy to me at first, 200m swim, 10km bike and 2.4km run. I mean it is "sup sup sui" if you do all 3 separately but if you are to combine all 3...it is not so easy after all.

The segment that i am most afraid of is swimming, and it is an open water swim, that is you have to be able to swim with the waves or against the waves. As it was my first time, i joined their open water swim trial...

I was the last few to enter the water and i held on twice onto the floats during the trial. I felt so breathless during the swim but i managed to complete it being the last few reaching the shore.

As i am afraid of the sea, the day before the triathlon, my twin accompanied me to ECP lagoon to practice again. I just dipped into the sea water and try swimming with the waves, till i felt more confident supposingly. Slow, nevermind, just swim my usual "frogstyle" and complete it...

On the day of triathlon, there were alot of people. We went to get our arms stamped, and placed all our bikes and barangs.
See how happy and excited i was before everything. :)

The men's events started first, my twin and his friends went ahead while i waited for my turn. I felt very nervous lo, kept on breathing deeply before i enter the sea and doing alot of "auto suggestions", that "it is not scary, just enjoy and have fun". And when it is time for my event, i waited for the rest to go in first while i swam the first 100m. Before i enter the sea for the second 100m, i held on at the side to catch my breath for almost a minute, and they sent in the next batch of swimmers behind me. I was being forced to continue... During the swim, i can feel the hands of swimmers as most of them swam free style, and once in a while, i may have kicked someone behind too. Argh...whatever la. 

After the swim,the legs felt like jelly but i still have to walk or run quickly to the holding area to get my Dahon foldie bike. Anyway, the whole ride was ok, just that the turning point was quite narrow, i almost knocked into the cones after i turned during the first time, got a little cut and bruise while trying to slow down the turn. At that moment, i could not feel any pain, just carried on, till i get down from the bike to push it to the holding area and prepare for the run. At that time, i could not run straight, ended up getting back my composure by walking back slowly.  

The run is the only one i can chiong. That is the segment i can use to improve my timing. BUT.. half way through, i got stitch...ARGH...(look at the picture above, you know already) I look extremely ugly and unglam la!!! From the sign of relief after the swim, to my face looking like i was having a painful stitch! That on and off stitch is just IRRITATING! Thanx for the photos on Running Shots though :)

However, i knew i must complete it, so just RUN. 
And i completed the whole triathlon, feeling pleased and satisfied, with the timing stated in the certificate below and my category place 30/66 and gender place 42/84. Average score and not too bad for a first timer :)

After everything, did i realise the slight pain in the wound. At that time, i was like thinking, i shall not join again!

BUT just last month, i registered for it again, this time with 3 more additional individual events, 200m swim (like again...), 38km cycle and 24km run... but this year, i set a target, to pose and smile at all the cameras along the way...And ENJOY and HAVE FUN

No comments: