Translate

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Friends

These few days i have this question in my mind...What is the definition of friends?

With the popularity of facebook coming up, it seemed everyone can be friends with each other, building their very own network of friends in their profile....BUT is it really so? Are they really your very very true friends? To me, i have 4 categories of friends.

Best friends: I have a few best friends only. Those whom i can talk and share everything under the sun, perhaps even my " darkest" secrets. Whom we would make a point to talk to each other almost everyday, whom i know i dun need to be reminded to share my things with because everything is out of my own free will.

Good friends: These friends are categorised as we do talk but some secrets are still kept hidden...

Normal friends: They are those whom you can communicate and those who we try to meet maybe a few times in a year.

Acquaintances: Friends' friends. Those whom we will meet when we go for "mass" gatherings and parties

However, with all these social networking sites coming up, they made it like everyone knows each other. For eg, A and B are good friends, so A thinks that B's friends are his/her friends, so A goes around messaging B's friends whom were also added into A's profile.
I've got a very important question, if A has not even seen or even talked to B's friends before, how can they be considered as friends? Unless they have been messaging actively ( AND I REALLY MEAN ACTIVELY) till both are comfortable to be "promoted" to friends level. If it were me, (Ok maybe it is just me) i'll feel extremely weird. Imagine i have a friend called "Harry", then one day this "Tom" message me said ," Hi!!! I'm Harry's friend! ." You know i be like thinking....so what! I dislike it when people tries to use their friends as the excuse. A friend of mine told me her guy friend goes around adding her friends using her name lo!!! I think i will dislike it too if i know my friends be it guy or gal go around adding my friends whom they have never met.
Worse still, some people "suka suka" add without any message...SO RUDE!!!
In addition, i realised some profiles...ok maybe i'm just prejudiced....i kinda pissed off with profiles with many friends perhaps 500....BUT out of 500, 480 are gals (For a guy's profile) , n the 480 are those very chio...or at least not bad looking ones! Please la, how can that be right..., how can a guy who lived for 20 over to 30 years know just a few guys friends in his life?

Next...i have an issue with acquaintances. Some "friends" are added because i have the thinking that they are nice people and can keep in contact. But these "friends" can be in your profile but they cannot even be bothered to talk to you. Even when we send a simple Hi, they DID NOT EVEN REPLY!!! RUDE RUDE! I feel that there is no need to be arrogant. If you are busy, just say so la, or leave a msg after that. If not, i think i can just say BYE to these friends,no point leaving them in my profile.

Right now, i am currently spring cleaning my profile of friends. Those friends whom i think i can dun bother having them, you be off my list very soon. I usually dun add strangers, unless you try to correspond first sincerly with messages and of course you are not up to anything funny. If not, you want me to add you? Wait long long...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Y do you think I don't even bother with a FB a/c? hahaha....

Unknown said...

Haha~ interesting 4 categories of friends siah =)

Anonymous said...

LOL...hmmm angry Yuping...oops..but I do agree with you...kekeke - ivy