Translate

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

My first half marathon, and my second and last triathlon

After the operation on the last day of march, I resumed my running practice 3 weeks later. Yes, everyone must have thought that I am crazy, but I really wanted to challenge myself to this, I have no confidence in cycling competitively but I feel that I can still run. My first run was at 6.53km per hour for 9km. I gradually increased my distance as I continue with training, clocking in a 12 km in May, 15km in June, 18km in July and finally a 20km a week before the half marathon. I guess i have to train in order to complete it. Thanks to my twin, he makes sure we are hydrated during our runs together with his water bag. During my 20km, I made sure I had honey slingers ready so that I have the energy to carry on. Let me divert abit, 10years ago when I join the great eastern run of 10km, I was like thinking no way I am going to torture myself again. Now 10 years later, my backside must be itchy and with peer pressure, I joined in too. Training does make a difference, after increasing distance to 15, I actually thought 10km is too easy for me.

The day comes on 26th July when we go for the zoot trifactor run. I have this competitive streak in me during running, I cannot stand it when there are too many people running around, so it's either I overtake them or be far away behind them. There was once during training, there is this lady running beside me and I can hear her deep breathing, my natural instinct was to dash to the front and be far away. Ya that is me, the anti social runner. But wait, I try my best not to do that when I am running with the twin!

For this run, I also tell myself must smile at the camera or pose. I always look very stress when I run and I thought this will be one of my targets. The view in the morning around marina bay area was awesome, there were otters playing along the route as well. There were sufficient water stations too. Everything go on smoothly for me and I completed the 24km with much ease.

Some things to note ( these are all advised by my running friends)
1.keep the posture straight, I try to run straight and not slouch when I am tired.
2. To keep the knees from further injury, try to run in small steps instead of big steps to the front, I roughly get it but still need more practise
3. Make sure you had a heavy lunch if you are running in the evening or eat something 2 hours before
4. Be well hydrated! Carry a water bag, if not plan your route around the marina and east coast areas where there are water coolers .

Triathlon 23rd August.
Don't ask me why I join. Have been practising free style in the swimming pool and using the gliding method to conserve energy. I thought I can get through the open sea but the moment I enter, with the strong waves, I forgot how to swim free style. During my first round, I hanged onto the rope halfway after the seawater hit on my face n i panic! Thanks to the lifeguards there who passed me the float to let me catch my breath. One main lifeguard even asked the volunteer lifeguard to pull me back. I was like noooo, I want to continue.I held onto the ropes to catch my breath many times. It's just 200m!!! And then nevermind, after getting through 100m,i still have to go through another round. So I finished the first round n unwillingly went for the second,I needed the float to catch my breath again... yes super 丢脸 cos it's just 200 metres... but I completed it n am really thankful to the volunteers and lifeguards there. 
My final conclusion: I am better off swimming in the pool instead. The cycling and running to me is nothing...its the swim that scares me.
The cycle was quite smooth, the u turn was wider this year and I just go at my own pace...I was told not to cheong la....Have to protect my face...

And running...2.4 km can easily be completed in less than 13 mins.

Yes i completed the triathlon, with a poorer placing than last year ( cos of the swim ) BUT WHO CARES right, I complete it and that is what matters.

But i am sure i would not join a triathlon again, i can't really swim in the open sea like that. Joining another run, maybe...a run overseas perhaps.

No comments: