Translate

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Taiwan Holiday Day 4 - A challenging cycling trip

It was such a long day the day before i decided to wake up naturally. And the plan is to explore and cycle along the river front.

If you do plan to cycle, first get this Ubike map from the visitor centre. It is definitely useful. I wanted to start cycling from Da Dao Cheng Wharf along this Xindian River Bank. Challenging day today...

1. The nearest MRT station to it was Da Qiao Tou, went to the Ubike kiosk and registered myself. When i turned back, all the parking lots are empty...NO BIKE

2. I walked to this Yong Le Market around 500m away, NO BIKE too!!!

3. Decided to just walk towards the wharf and try my luck, went to this bike shop but they do not offer little baskets to put my stuff

4. Went to the wharf area and realise the shop people is out for lunch. I reached there at 1210pm...their lunch hours are from 1200 -1400. ARGH!!!
I walked back to Yong Le market and take my lunch there. It was quite an old crowded street, i also passed by Di Hua street that is lined with lots of Chinese Medicine shops.

After all these, i walked back to the wharf rental shop at 2pm, along the way passing by more bike rental shops that were just opened. That shop was still closed. I turned back and saw another notice.
It state " OUT FOR ADMINISTRATIVE MEETING ON 2014/04/03"
Yes, GREAT!!! I am very heng...thats today!

I walked back to another rental shop outside, thought everything is fine already, got a sweet pink bike and realised i did not bring any form of identification. The man at first says :" 没带证件,你就押钱", i was like ok, and asked how much. The man says this one very ex, at least  NTD10 000, or you take the other one la NTD 5000. I looked at him and wondered why i cannot just leave my phone number, those Ubike system also like that what. The question he asked that pissed me off was this :" 你现在身上有多少钱?" I do not like the way he asked me. He even pointed to a small old bike and asked me to cycle his bike back to get my identification. I was like, i came all the way here and you asked me go back to get the card and return here? Forget it la, DUN WASTE MY TIME!

No bike, i can still enjoy the views on foot!

After walking about 2km plus, i thought i better exit the riverside as it seemed that the roads in front lead to more ulu areas. And after walking just 5mins, i saw this Ubike kiosk and...

That was the one and only bicycle available at that kiosk!!! Yes my cycling trip can carry on at last!
I cycled back to the riverside and everything is really tranquil and beautiful. NICE FRESH AIR!! 

However, when i wanted to venture further, it started to rain, and i got stuck under Huazhong bridge. The rain was very heavy and there was no way i can venture further. I took my disposable poncho and see if i can cycle, but the rain keep splashing into my eyes. I have no choice i got to wait at that bridge. While waiting, i actually chat up this 71 year old granny who looked like in her 60s and this male jogger also joined us in our chats. They talked to me about politics, about 服贸协议,about stray dogs, about government and about travelling Taiwan.

We left without knowing who each other are and carried on our way. I was quite worried that if it gets too dark, it would be dangerous for me to cycle back too. When it was a slight drizzle, i just brave my way front and CHIONG towards Da Dao Cheng Wharf.

From there, i exited the riverfront and cycled back to Shuanglian MRT where there is a UBike kiosk. I cycled with the cars, sometimes walking with the bike, sometimes cycling with the scooters. Thank God, i was back safely, clocking about 13km, not very very wet though, my poncho has served me well! N using the Ubike for 2 and a half hours, it is just NTD 50! :)

A challenging day but definitely a memorable experience!!!

No comments: